This item acts much like the hookshot from previous titles however the end is a metal claw which makes grabbing onto objects and points of interest a bit different from its counterpart. Unlike its counterpart the item cannot take Link toward objects like boxes but instead is primarily used on vines, gratings, and various targettable protrusions from walls.
This items unique in that there are actually two in the world the other being guarded by Aeralfos in the dungeon City in the Sky and when acquired can extend Link's distance across gaps and reach even higher places not normally possible with just one.
While attached to an object directly above Link the player can extend the chain down or retract it to move Link up and down something used most often at Lakebed Temple.
- While the item is in use the player can hold a direction on theanalog stick then begin holding to move Link during the animation of the chain extending this maneauver can lead to some useful applications.
- Like the hookshot the claw can be used to kill some lesser enemies though it can interestingly kill Armos Statue's.
- When using the item on a surface above Link's head when reaching the destination for a brief moment Link will move forward from the momentum of reaching the point.
- When attached to vines on the ceiling Link can move forward using his hands.
- Normally impossible to view the clawshot's slot in the item wheel can still be occupied by the item after receiving the second claw if the second claw were obtained first.
- This behavior is currently featured in the randomizer from the addition of storing temporary items in the background to avoid the game overwriting them.