During Link's quest he eventually comes acrossed Barnes who runs a shop in Kakariko Village selling Bombs although he will not start selling them until after the hero has saved Chief Darbus from the power of the Fused Shadow.
Aside from Barnes's Bomb Bag two other bomb bags can be acquired from Iza and a Goron underwater at Zora's Domain. Additionally the hero can acquire a larger bomb bag that can hold twice as many bombs from Iza.
The most unique aspect of bombs is that there are three different types that the hero can purchase or find throughout the world. With each new type of bomb come unique properties although the basic use of the item remains.
One of these types of bombs is the Water Bomb were it can be used underwater unlike the standard bomb although it cannot be used while swimming normally. The bomb is modeled after a enemy fish that shares the appearance which have explosive properties and was most likely the inspiration for its creation.
The other type of bomb is the Bomblings a type of explosive that can move about independently and will explode once it makes impact with a wall or enemy. The bug has some homing capabilities were it will track enemies and go towards them to make using them easier although this feature is not present when no enemies are present. Much like the Water Bomb this explosive is modeled after the real life version of the bug featured in the Forest Temple.
Additionally any bomb can be combined with the Hero's Bow to fire bombs at far distances and can even be used together with the Gale Boomerang to send the explosive to whatever destination the boomerang flies toward.
- When a bomb is attached to the gust of wind from the boomerang the timer on the fuse will be reset and will not explode immediately unless it makes contact with an enemy or wall and this behavior is exclusive to the boomerang.
- If the player starts a cutscene when a bomb is attached it will drop at that time which can be used to reach certain areas earlier than intended.
- The Goron underwater in Zora's Domain will not give the player the bomb bag if Link is wearing Magic Armor.
- There is a glitch that can be performed that allows swimming with water bombs.
- Additionally it is possible to use regular bombs underwater with another glitch or by using a cutscene.
- Iza's bomb bag can be kept if the player warps away either with Ooccoo or if she is rescued in wolf form.